Wireless surround sound system is a new trend in an audio technology. There are six versions on the market. Find out which one is the best for you.
6 Types of Wireless Surround Sound Technologies
In the market you could find these six types of wireless technology that serve for transferring of the surround system:
- RF – Radio Frequency
- Wireless audio on 5.8 GHz
- IR – Infrared
RF – Radio Frequency on 900 MHz
Wireless surround sound working on radio frequency uses the same frequency range as cordless and cellular phones.
- The range is between 150 and 300 feet – 45 to 90 meters
- The RF signal can transfer through walls and floors
- Possible interference with cordless and cellular phones
WiFi on 2.4 and 5 GHz
There are five generations of WiFi. The last one is working on 5 GHz, while the previous worked mostly on 2.4 GHz. WiFi has range about 230 feet or 70 meters.
- Compatibility – today almost every device have WiFi access
- The range is about 230 feet – 70 meters
- WiFi signal can transfer through walls and floors
- Possible interference with the Bluetooth, microwave oven
The biggest advantage is that you can integrate any WiFi device with the wireless home theater surround.
Bluetooth on 2.4 GHz
The Bluetooth works on the frequency of 2.4 GHz and like WiFi it is widely used for communication of mobile phones and laptops with its peripheral devices. The range is about 330 feet or 100 meters.
- Compatibility – lots of devices support Bluetooth
- The range is about 330 feet – 100 meters
- Bluetooth signal can transfer through walls and floors
- Possible interference with the WiFi, microwave oven
- Poor security
Read more about the Bluetooth in the post What is Bluetooth and how Bluetooth works.
Wireless Audio on the 5.8 GHz
Wireless audio can work also on frequency of 5.8 GHz. The maximum range is about 200 feet or 60 meters.
- The range is about 200 feet – 60 meters
- Less interference than WiFi and Bluetooth on 2.4 GHz
- The signal can transfer through walls and floors
- Possible interference with some cordless phones
Infrared on frequency 2-4 MHz
IR – infrared wireless surround system works on a frequency of 2-4 MHz. The range is about 30 feet or 10 meters.
- No interference
- Small range
- Even the smallest obstacles interrupt the signal
WirelessHD on 60 GHz
WirelessHD works in Extremely High Frequency radio band of 60 GHz. The range is about 3o feet or 10 meters. It offers the highest speeds and the real HD video and audio.
- A great signal quality
- No delay
- No interference
- High price
- Small range
Which Wireless Surround Sound Technology to Choose
In my opinion two winners are WiFi and WirelessHD.
If you are audiophile and looking for the best possible quality of sound – wireless surround sound system with WirelessHD is the best choice for you.
If you are interested about the mobile internet TV, read the article Mobile Internet TV – Find the Best Way to Watch TV on Smartphone.
If you are looking for flexibility, options to play from very different sources of devices, WiFi wireless surround system is the best choice.
You could be interested to read about the Wireless Mouse and Keyboard.
What do you think about this topic? Leave me some comments.