Find out about the wireless network setup for the optimal wireless network connection in your home WiFi network and the best wireless home security.You can read more about the wireless home networks and choosing the appropriate wireless networking equipment in the post Wireless Home Network – How to Set up WiFi Network that Meets All Your Needs.
Wireless Network Setup Overview
I will divide wireless network setup in the three phases:
• Phase 1 – The positioning of the wireless router for the optimal wireless network connection
• Phase 2 – Wireless router setup for the bulletproofed wireless home security
• Phase 3 – Maintenance of the wireless home network
The Positioning of the Wireless Router for the Optimal Wireless Network Connection
Problem with the Physical Obstructions
Choosing the position for the wireless router is a very important phase of the wireless network setup. Improper placement can cause a big problem with the poor coverage, lower wireless signal and even the blind spots without any WiFi signal. Big physical obstacles like walls and ceilings can be a big problem for the wireless network connection.
Other devices can cause the Interference
The other wireless signals can cause the interference. The possible problem could cause the following devices:
- Microwave oven
- BlueTooth devices
- Other WiFi devices
- Cordless phones E
- Electric fans
- Items with motors
- Fluorescent lighting
Tips for the Optimal Wireless Network Connection
For avoiding the problems with the interference and blocking of the WiFi signal you can use the following tips:
- Put the wireless router in the central position of the room
- Try placing the WiFi router as high as possible for better
- Avoid physical obstacles like walls and ceilings.
- Enable line of sight -visibility of the wireless router and possible positions of the wireless clients
- Avoid reflective surfaces like windows, mirrors, metal cabinets
- Move the wireless router from the other sources of the wireless signal
- Position the antenna (or antennas) of the wireless router towards the wireless clients and positions where they will usually be
- Configure the router on the frequency of the 5 GHz, because it is much less probability for the interference with the other wireless signals
- Try placing the WiFi router in several different promising positions
If you want to find out more about the planning and positioning of the bigger WiFi networks with the multiple wireless routers and access points, read the post Wireless Site Survey – Proper Placement of the Access Points.
Wireless Router Setup for the Bulletproofed Wireless Home Security
The most important part of the wireless network setup is configuring the proper wireless home security on your wireless router. Inadequate security of your wireless home network could cause you the legal, financial and personal problems. Spending some extra time for planning and configuring the proper wireless home security is a very good investment.
Tips for the Bulletproofed Wireless Home Security
- Change all default settings (admin password, SSID)
- Don’t use personal information for your SSID like name and address
- For an admin password, use the non-dictionary words with a combination of small and capital letters with numbers
- Don’t use WPS – use manual wireless security configuration
- Use WPA2 with the PSK authentication and AES encryption
- For WPA2 key use the non dictionary words with combination of small and capital letters with numbers
- Enable MAC address filtering
More details about the wireless home security, you can check with the post Wireless Internet Security – 5 Steps for the Maximum Wireless LAN Security.
How to do the wireless router setup, in eight steps for five minutes and make your home wireless network unbreakable, you can see in the post Wireless Router Setup – Make Your Wireless Network Bulletproofed.
Maintenance of the Wireless Home Network
The best possible wireless network setup doesn’t guarantee the proper security, range, coverage and speed in your wireless home network. Regular maintenance is one of the most important tasks for the proper wireless configuration.
Regular change of the SSID and passwords on the wireless router is making your wireless internet security bulletproofed. Interference could change from time to time and could cause problems with the rage, coverage and the speed of wireless data transfer.
Tips for Maintenance of the Wireless Home Network
If you keep in mind the following tips, your wireless network setup will be always up to date and with the best possible security.
- Change the SSID on the monthly basis
- Change the admin password on your wireless router monthly
- Change the WPA2 security key monthly
- Regular update MAC address filtering table – adding the MAC address for new wireless clients and deleting for old MAC addresses
- Check the new firmware of the wireless router on the monthly basis and do the upgrade if needed
- New Interference in the wireless home network needs new position of the wireless router
After reading about the wireless network setup, I recommend the post about the troubleshooting the wireless home networks – Wireless Network Problems – Answers for the most Wireless Problems.