Jan 12 2014
Five Steps for the Maximum Wireless Internet Security
Wireless Internet Security is from some of you taken for granted. Poor wireless LAN security can literally ruin your life. I will show you five simple steps. If you applied them your wireless network will be almost 100% secured.
Take time and apply these five steps on your wireless router or access point and a security level of your wireless network will increase dramatically.
1. Change a Default Password
The very first thing you should do on the wireless router and access point is to change the default password. All these devices have a web user interface for their configuration. This webpage is protected with the username and password.
To be able to access the device’s web interface, the first thing you should know is the IP address. More about this read on wireless router IP address.
Password Recommendations for the Maximum Wireless Internet Security
- Do not use the default password
- Mix of letters, numbers and non-alphanumeric characters
- Use both small and capital letters
- Don’t use the words from the dictionary
- Change the password every month or two
2. Change Default SSID on Your Wireless Router
The second most important thing you need to change is the default SSID or a network name. Default SSIDs, listed below, are a sign for hackers that the WiFi network is easy to crack.
Recommendations for SSID
- Don’t use the default SSID
- Don’t use your name, address, or any other personal information
- Don’t use the passwords that you are using on your computer
- Use both letters and numbers
- Use the maximum allowed length
- Change SSID every month or two
3. Do Not Use WPS – Wi-Fi Protected Setup
A major security flaw was found with the WPS – Wi-Fi Protected Setup feature. All recent models of the wireless routers support the WPS and it is enabled by default. Thanks to this flaw, a hacker can recover the WPS PIN and WPA2 key in a few hours. So please disable the WPS feature on your wireless router.
4. Enable the WPA2 for the Maximum Wireless Internet Security
If you have an available Radius server, use the EAP authentication. More about the authentication read on wireless authentication.
WPA Recommendations for the Maximum Wireless LAN Security
- Use WPA2 – Authentication PSK, Encryption AES, for personal use
- Use WPA2 – Authentication EAP, Encryption AES with the Radius server for enterprise
- Use the maximum length for the WPA2 key
- Use combination of small and capital letters, numbers and non-alphanumeric characters for WPA2 key
- Don’t use dictionary words for the WPA2 key
- Change WPA2 key every month or two
5. Enable a MAC Address Filtering for the Maximum Wireless LAN Security
All wireless routers and access points have a built-in feature to enable the MAC address filtering. You need to find out the MAC addresses of all the clients in your wireless network. After you specify them in MAC address filtering table, only these clients can be in your wireless network.
The exact detailed configuration of the Linksys wireless router with the detailed step by step video check in Wireless Router Setup.
Have You Ever Been Hacked?
Have you been a victim of some hacker? If you have, leave me the comment? Poor wireless internet security has almost ruined the life of some persons – read more about this on Hacks and Horror Stories in Wireless Network Security.