USB WiFi antenna is a great way to significantly boost your WiFi range. I will show you how to make your own USB wireless antenna. Otherwise, you can buy it with a few clicks of your mouse – check here the best offers.
USB WiFi Antenna
Build your own WiFi USB Antenna
Here is a simple, cheap and very effective way to boost your WiFi range. You need the following items:
- parabolic tea strainer
- USB WiFi adapter
- USB cable
All these you can buy for about $10. For tools you will need only two things:
- pliers or scissors
- hot glue gun.
The procedure is the following:
- Make a hole in the center of a parabolic tea strainer. Use the pliers or the scissors. Be sure to preserve the parabolic shape of the strainer.
- Pull the USB cable through the hole you have just made.
- Glue the USB connector to the strainer with the hot glue gun. This side of the USB cable connect to the USB WiFi adapter.
- After glue dries, plug in the USB WiFi adapter.
This homemade WiFi USB antenna can significantly boost your WiFi range.
Buy a Great USB WiFi Antenna for About $15
I have found on the Amazon two great WiFi antennas for about $15. They have great customer reviews.
TL-WN822N – TP-LINK Wireless N300
The TP-LINK WN822N USB WiFi adapter offers the following:
- Dual 3 dBi external antenna for 2.4 GHz frequency band
- Enables speeds up to 300 Mbps
- Supports 802.11b/g/n standards
- QSS (Quick Secure Setup) security feature – WPA2/WPA/WEP security
- Two year warranty
Pros of the TL-WN822N:
- Significantly boosts the range
- Great signal strength
Cons of the TL-WN822N:
- Some users needed to download the driver from the TP-Link website (MAC OS users)
- It is better to use windows drivers than the software that came with the device on the disk
- Works only on 2.4 GHz
- Technical support could be better
TL-WN722N – TP-LINK Wireless N150
TL-WN722N USB WiFi antenna offers the following:
- 4 dBi omnidirectional antenna for 2.4 GHz frequency
- Wireless speed up to 150 Mbps
- Supports 802.11b/g/n standards
- Quick Secure Setup (QSS) security that supports WPA2/WPA/WEP
- Two year warranty.
Pros of the TL-WN722N:
- It offers great speed
- Very low price for great performance
- Very small and practical
- Very easy installation and setup
Cons of the TL-WN722N:
- The TP Link wireless utility could be more intuitive, especially for manual configuration
- QSS software works only if you use TP-Link Wireless router or access point.
The Final Conclusion of the USB WiFi Antenna
The proper USB WiFi antenna can significantly improve the range and signal of your WiFi network. On the market there are a great variety of the products.
The most important thing, when buying the USB WiFi adapter with antenna, is to check does it work on needed frequency. The most of the adapters are made for the 2.4 GHz and they will not work on the 5 GHz.
Under $20 you can find very good products. Two TP-Link adapters, that I have described in the article, are very good and powerful products for the low price.
If you have time and will, you can build your own USB WiFi antenna. You will need to buy a USB WiFi adapter, but you can save a few dollars. My opinion is that it is better to spend $10 more and buy cheap quality products – like two I already mentioned.
Please leave the comment if you have some questions or experiences with the USB WiFi antenna.